Neal has kindly given me permission to document this build.
Here it is fresh out of the box.
First things first. Inventory the parts. Nice B.O.M. it has nice color pictures of each component
making it easier for identification. Not all the parts are shown on the B.O.M. ex: screws and test leads.
The pictorial instructions really make this easy and eliminated the need and cost of silk screening
the PCB. I did not have any difficulty knowing where the component went.
Picture on the left is the instruction, on the right is my installation.
When installing sockets I prefer a differant method. I bend two pins on opposite corners then solder
them. Then placing my thumb on the socket. I reheat the soldered pins. You can almost always feel the
pin "pop" flat against the PCB. Then solder the rest of the pins.
I soldered a center pin then check the alignment if it needed re-alignment reheat the pin with the thumb
on it to align it correctly. then you can complete the soldering job
Installing the "ZERO" switch. Notice it is a different color and it is also a momentary switch.
Now to installed the function switches or "alternate" switches.
Installing "U3" the LT1121CZ low drop-out voltage regulator.
It is bent over just a bit but was not nessasary.
Installed the three 10uf electrolytic capacitors. be certain observe proper polarity. They change all by themselves.
Now to install the regular capacitors.
The remaining capacitors.
Now the inductor.
Install the contrast trim pot. Adjust full CCW before soldering.
Standoffs? Hey! We're almost done.
I thought that was going too fast. I forgot the crystal and the reed relay.
Now the LCD display.
Mine had 16 pins same as the male socket so it went together easy.
So easy in fact I did't take pictures of the battery installation or mounting the PCB
Power on shows you these screens. Then tells you it's ready to go to work. This is ready to measure in the "uf" scale.
264.3 pf outstanding!
Quite possibly the easiest kit I've ever put together. When I first turned it on "nothing"happened. I found a
bad solder joint and that took care of the problem. Now for some fun. I have a nice bag of "Dog Bone"
capacitors to measure and sort. The really amazing thing is it was built in less time than it took to
do a load of laundry. :-)
72 de RC kc5wa