Building my Elecraft K1 # 1949

80/40m filter board, bottom

80/40m filter board, top, completed

80/40m filter board resistance checks

Completed Front Panel

10 Turn pot on back of Front panel

K1 Front panel resistance checks

RF Board Part I

RF PCB, showing VFO, AF AMP, and RECEIVER sections with most of components installed

first resistance checks on page 29

first VOLTAGE CHECKS on page 30

SMOKE TEST. FAILURE! NO SMOKE RELEASED..............

RF PCB PART 1 ASSEMBLY COMPLETE.

view of top side (picture poor quality due to no depth of field on scanner)

view of bottom side

Alignment and test of Part I completed

RF PCB PART II ASSEMBLY COMPLETE.

view of top side (picture poor quality due to no depth of field on scanner)

NEXT STEP ALIGNMENT AND TEST OF PART II
I did have some problems here. No output power. As these E-mails show that with the gracious help of Don Wilhelm "W3FPR" the problem was found and corrected.

E-mail #1 , E-mail #2 , E-mail #3 , E-mail #4 , E-mail #5 , E-mail #6 , E-mail #7 , E-mail #8

The DC voltage measurements

An RF probe was built from the schematic in the trouble shooting section of the K1 Manual.

E-mail #9 , E-mail #10 , E-mail #11 , E-mail #12

The first set of RF measurements

E-mail #13 , E-mail #14

The second set of measurements

E-mail #15 , E-mail #16

It turns out that the difficulty was a mis-alignment of the BPF & LPF portions of the filter board. Once it was re-peaked using a signal generator instead of "white noise" hiss everything fell into place. Here I wish to thanks Don Wilhelm W3FPR (and others on the reflector)for his help and guidance. Transmitter alignment complete. A full 5 watts is to be had. Final assembly completed and its buttoned up serial #1949 has been attached.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

NEXT THE AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER

KAT1

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here is the K1 Auto Antenna Tuner "KAT1"

A 4:1 Balun was also ordered and built so I could utilize the 240' loop in my back yard.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

RC KC5WA